Sunday, January 18, 2009

Inauguration: A sign of things to come?

As we are now in the midst of the worst economic downtrun of my lifetime many are looking to the highest office in the land to make the policy changes to bring us out of this recession. Yet as we begin this historic term we are asked to swallow an inauguration party with a bill of $140 million.

I'm not about to say this isn't a moment that should be celebrated. Barack Obama being sworn in is a wonderful moment for all Americans not just African Americans. Maybe we need this party as Americans. Maybe we need to splurge for a weekend during these hard times. Maybe it's important to let your hair down every once in a while. Or maybe our president elect should have said "hey we've got to tighten our belts as a country" and start with his own party.

I, for one, hope this is just a splurge for a momentous occasion and not a sign of fiscal irresponsibility for this administration, an administration for which I voted and fully support. Washington resembles Hollywood more and more each day and I believe this blatant disregard for taxpayer funds is just another example of the disconnect between the powers that be and the powers that make them be.

Not even president yet and the man has already disappointed me.

1 comment:

Amber Lee said...

Yeah, I was wondering about that one myself. I read that a great deal of the money came from private donations, but even still....with so many people losing jobs, and food banks with empty shelves?