Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Vote for the man or the party?

The conflict continues. I've already written about why I like Obama's plans over McCain's but I still struggle.

Something needs to be done about healthcare coverage and while McCain will give help for people to buy their own insurance I do not think many in America will buy health insurance unless forced to do so. I'm still in the Obama camp on that one.

History shows me that the Democratic policy of raising taxes is not a very good one. Hoover's wonderful plan to increase the top income tax rate from 25% to 63% in 1932 sure proved to be a great solution to the depression that started 3 years earlier. Massive inflation in the 70's only came to a halt when Reagan put a stop to many of the Carter policies.

So do I vote for the specific policy I believe is better or do I go with the party that I believe has done a better job with the economy historically? The Bush administration has not done too well by me with the economy. The devaluation of the dollar during the past 8 years is not what I call good business. I don't know that a McCain administration will do any better.

In the end maybe a vote for Obama is a win/win situation. If his plans work then things are great. If they don't maybe Romney will have a better shot in 2012.

Of course there are other topics of concern to me and my views are much more inline with the democratic party when it comes to the education of my children (I throw this in here in hopes that my mother won't disown me if I vote for a democrat in a presidential election).

What to do?

1 comment:

Ryan Esplin said...

Jacob, I'm surprised. I didn't know you were thinking about voting for Obama.