Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Our economy needs more Mormons

If you think this is going to be a post about Mitt Romney you are wrong. I am actually writing about an article on economist.com detailing the relatively healthy economy in Utah, and how that is in large part due to the Mormon way of thinking. I encourage you to read it, but if not I'll at least share with you the last paragraph that I find very amusing.

"Mormons do not come to work nursing hangovers, and they are inclined to stay put in the promised land rather than pursue better-paying jobs elsewhere. Matthew Donthnier, who is hiring for a new Procter & Gamble plant, has only one complaint about the local workforce: it can be a little difficult to persuade people to toil on Sundays."

The idea of working in the "Promised Land" when one could make so much more money elsewhere is strange indeed. What kind of crazy person would feel that way?

1 comment:

Amber Lee said...

Oooh, that sounds interesting. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to go read it right now! (but I do think we need more Mitt Romney, too!)